%ALT_TXT%% %ALT_TXT%% Bet at 5dimes %ALT_TXT%%
Sports Matchups
Lost Password Recover - Contact BettorsChat
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55

Thread: MLB 2018 Season Long Thread Thru the World Series / Picks,Trends,News Etc. !!

Credits

THURSDAY, JUNE 21
    GAME TIME(ET) PICK UNITS

SEA at NYY 01:05 PM
    SEA +174
    O 8.0

BOS at MIN 01:10 PM
    MIN +105
    O 9.0

NYM at COL 03:10 PM
    COL -146
    O 11.0

BAL at WAS 07:05 PM
    WAS -270
    U 7.0

ARI at PIT 07:05 PM
    PIT -108
    O 8.0

CHC at CIN 07:10 PM
    CIN +143
    O 9.5

OAK at CHW 08:10 PM
    OAK -118
    O 9.0

STL at MIL 08:10 PM
    STL +121
    U 8.5

TOR at LAA 10:07 PM
    TOR +140
    U 7.5

SD at SF 10:15 PM
    SD +141
    U 7.5
    Remember the 3 G's Gambling, Golf, Girls not in any particular order.....

Credits

Friday’s 6-pack

— Dodgers’ pitcher Ross Stripling is also a licensed stock broker.

— Gleyber Torres passed on the Home Run Derby; they’re having trouble getting guys.

— Marlins’ P Dan Straily got suspended five games for drilling Buster Posey.

— It is possible that Brooks Koepka lost the trophy he won for winning the US Open. He says he doesn’t know where it is.

— Mike Trout had a stretch this week where he reached base 29 of 36 times, the best 8-game stretch of on-base %age since Stan Musial in 1953.

— In their first 74 games, Kansas City Royals started 11 different players in the #2 spot in the batting order. Not good.

Tweet of the Day
    “I’ve been pleasantly surprised the last three weeks what a good teammate he is, how smart he is, how he sees the game. He should be playing in the National Football League, and I believe he will when he gets through with us.”
    Hamilton Tiger-Cats coach June Jones III, talking about Johnny Manziel

Friday’s quiz
    Which NBA team drafted Chris Webber?

Thursday’s quiz
    Washington Nationals were the Montreal Expos before moving to our nation’a capital.

Wednesday’s quiz
    Shaquille O’Neal finished his NBA career with the Boston Celtics, in 2011.

Friday’s Den: Running Diary of the 1st round of the NBA Draft…….

7:25: Before the NBA Draft, some NFL news. Bucs’ QB James Winston will be suspended for three games, for something that happened with an Uber drive in Arizona two years ago.

Buccaneers open at New Orleans, then the Eagles/Steelers come to Tampa Bay. Not great to play those teams without your starting QB.

Winston had character-related issues in college, too. This isn’t good for him or the Bucs or the NFL or coach Dirk Koetter, who needs a good season to keep his job.

7:30: NBA Draft is in Brooklyn; they need to do what the NHL/NFL do now and move the draft around the country, get out of New York City.

Commissioner Adam Silver is one of my heroes; a tall, bald man with glasses who has a great job and does it very well, but stop with the opening statement. Drafts get over-hyped; need to see teams picking players as soon as possible.

7:35: Jay Bilas has already questioned Deandre Ayton’s “motor” which means he doesn’t try hard all the time. Good Lord, that bothers me, if you spend your #1 pick on someone who is often lethargic. Effort should never be an issue.

Anyway, the Phoenix Suns take Ayton, whose Arizona team got plastered by Buffalo in the first round of the NCAA tournament. I picked Arizona, but I’m not bitter at all.

ESPN has Chauncey Billups (good) and Bilas (annoying) as its analysts, Rece Davis (very good) as its host. Billups compares Ayton to Joel Embiid. Davis points out that Ayton is the 9th straight college freshman to be the first pick in the draft.

7:44: Marvin Bagley III goes #2 to Sacramento. Bilas downplays Bagley’s defensive abilities, but Duke played a 2-3 zone almost all of last season. Go figure. Billups compares Bagley to Chris Bosh. Bagley is happy to be in Sacramento, which is refreshing.

Duke had a player picked in the top 3 in the last five NBA Drafts, which is a record.

NBA saved me lot of money by putting four patches on the right side of each team’s hats which they’re selling on the Interweb. I’m not a fan of a lot of junk on the hats I buy, so this saves me a decent amount of money, because the front of the hats are nice.

7:48: Worst part of the NBA Draft is they don’t announce the trades as they happen, which is stupid and misleading. Atlanta Hawks take Luka Doncic but ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski says he is being traded to Dallas, with the Hawks winding up with Trae Young.

7:55: Memphis takes Jaren Jackson Jr, whose mother is Director of Player Ops for the WNBA. At first, Jackson said he didn’t want to play for Memphis, but I’m sure he won’t mind being paid by Memphis. Billups compares him to Joakim Noah.

Jackson’s dad played 13 years in the NBA; his first eight years in the NBA, he played for a different team every year.

8:00: Dallas takes Trae Young, who will be traded to Atlanta. ESPN ruined Young’s season at Oklahoma by over-hyping him a sickening amount and putting a huge target on his back. The Hawks get a 2019 first-round pick from Dallas in addition to the Young/Doncic swap.

8:08: Orlando takes Mo Bamba with the #6 pick; he has a 7-foot-10 wingspan, the longest wingspan ever recorded at the NBA Combine. Bilas says he needs to get a lot stronger.

They showed video recently of Bamba making ton of 3-pointers in a workout, but he shot 27.5% behind the arc at Texas last year, so we’ll see. The NBA 3-point shot is longer than college.

NHL Draft is Friday; it’ll be different than this draft. Not better, not worse. Different.

8:13: Bulls won their fewest games in 14 years this year; they take Wendell Carter, a center from Duke. Carter could’ve gone to Harvard had he wanted to; he is a good shooter, but again, Duke played a ton of 2-3 zone last year, so will defense be an issue, especially on pick/roll? Billups compares him to Carlos Boozer.

8:18: Cavaliers take Alabama PG Collin Sexton, who Billups compares to Eric Bledsoe. Kid is highly competitive, but Cleveland might be a sad place to watch basketball for a few years, with Lebron James expected to skip town.

8:24: Knicks missed the playoffs the last five years; why does ESPN have to show Spike Lee before their draft pick? New York takes Kevin Knox, another Kentucky player. John Calipari’s recruiting has to get easier and easier with every year all his guys go in the 1st round.

Knox played quarterback in high school, which hints at leadership qualities.

8:30— 76ers take Mikal Bridges, a 4-year player who played on two national title teams with Villanova. He is 6-7 wth a 7-2 wingspan; Billups compares him to Nicolas Batum of the Hornets.

Bridges’ mother is VP of Human Resources with the 76ers.

8:37: Charlotte Hornets take a Canadian PG and another Kentucky player, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, who reminds Billups of Michael Carter-Williams, but the kid will be traded to the Clippers. I’d rather live in LA than Charlotte anyway, but no one asked me.

He shot 40.4% on the arc and 82% on the foul line, both good things, and he didn’t start early last season- he earned his way into the starting lineup.

ESPN has an international scouting guy named Mike Schmitz on; he says Gilgeous-Alexander was the best guard in the draft.

8:43: Clippers draft Miles Bridges, who will be traded to the Hornets. Bridges would’ve been a high draft pick LY; Billups compares him to Shawn Marion, a pretty big compliment.

Clippers gave Charlotte two future 2nd-round picks to swap the 11th and 12th picks.

8:48: University of Buffalo’s social media people posted this on Twitter:

“Congrats to @DeandreAyton on being selected #1 overall in the #NBADraft by the @Suns! We hope your @NBA career starts better than your college one ended”

Wow. Ayton’s college career ended with an ugly loss to Buffalo.

8:50: NBA Lottery started in 1985; Boston College’s Jerome Robinson is the Eagles’ first player ever taken in the lottery— Clippers took him at #13. John Bagley was the 12th pick in the ’82 Draft, taken by Cleveland.

Tonight is June 21; on July 6, the NBA Summer League begins in Las Vegas, so these kids who get drafted will be fighting for jobs in 16 short days, against other kids who didn’t get drafted and veterans who’ve played in the NBA before, or are fighting to get there. Very competitive.

8:54: Denver owner Stan Kroenke’s son Josh started for Missouri’s hoop team 15 or so years ago; if they don’t take Michael Porter Jr, who the hell will?

8:58: Nuggets draft Porter; their trainer should ask for a raise. Billups compares him to Kevin Durant, which is a total insult to Durant. Porter played three college games, and one of them was for two whole minutes. He is more suspect than prospect.

In totally unrelated news, Flava Flav threw out the first pitch at the Richmond Flying Squirrels game tonight. Squirrels are the AA affiliate of the San Francisco Giants. They had 6,117 fans in Richmond, for a game that was shortened by rain.

9:06: Washington Wizards take Oregon alum Troy Brown, who I think is a Las Vegas kid and is considered a versatile player. Billups compares him to Andre Iguodala.

There is a guy sitting next to Arizona coach Sean Miller who has the shiniest bald head I’ve ever seen. As a bald man myself, just don’t have the energy to do that day after day, keep my head totally slick. Plus I’d look like Mr Potato Head if I did that, so no thanks.

9:14: Zhaire Smith played one year at Texas Tech; the Suns drafted him, but he’s getting traded to the 76ers for Mikal Bridges, which puts the kibosh on Mrs Bridges’ happiness from 45 minutes ago. Smith wasn’t an ESPN top 100 recruit coming out of high school- it is rare for a player like that to be drafted so high.

9:22: Milwaukee Bucks take Donte DiVincenzo, who started only 10 of Villanova’s 40 games LY, but he played starter’s minutes (29.7 mpg), scoring 13.4 ppg, making 40.1% on the arc, in his only season of college ball.

He scored 31 points in the national championship game, but anytime I hear a kid raised his draft stock in the Combine, it bothers me. Billups compares him to Tyler Johnson.

Random fact; over half the players in the NBA (53%) have played in the G-League.

Talk about draft/trades in the NBA; on June 24, 1998, Dirk Nowitzki was traded by Bucks with Pat Garrity to the Mavericks for Robert Traylor. How did that work out?

9:29: San Antonio Spurs drafted G Lonnie Walker from Miami, FL, who has had knee issues and also has ballhandling/defensive issues, but he can score. Spurs’ coaches will develop him. Not many kids who go to high school in Reading, PA go to college in Miami.

9:34: Atlanta Hawks take a kid from the Albany area, Kevin Huerter from Maryland. Huerter’s dad and brother play/played for Siena College; Kevin is an excellent shooter; good luck to the young man. I was surprised when he came out of school, but shooters are always in demand.

People have too much money: LeBron James’ jersey from Game 1 of the 2018 NBA Finals just closed on @NBAAUCTIONS to a winning bid of $100,322. Oy.

9:42: Minnesota takes Josh Okogie, a guard from Georgia Tech. Bilas says his man asset is that “…..he plays his tail off all the time.” No wingspan, no upside, he just tries hard. There are worse things someone can say about you.

Budweiser just ran a commercial with John Starks, the old Knicks’ guard who talks about being undrafted, then fighting to make it in the NBA. Damn good commercial.

Starks played 13 years in the NBA, scored over 10,800 points.

9:46: Utah drafts Grayson Allen; Jazz are coached by Duke alum Quin Snyder. Now I have to watch all of Utah’s summer league games to see if someone kicks Allen’s ass. He got away with being a dirty player in college because Coach K sheltered him, but now he is out on his own. We’ll see how that works out.

9:51: Chicago Bulls take Chandler Hutchison from Boise State. He is the first Boise player drafted since 1999, which should help their recruiting. Billups compares him to Kyle Kuzma.

OK, I have Madison Bumgarner on my fantasy baseball team and he’s pitching in a few minutes, so time to grab some food and watch that game. Hope you enjoyed this…….

Credits

LEADING OFF: Herrera on home run roll, D-backs bashing Bucs
    June 21, 2018

A look at what's happening around the majors Friday:

PACKING A PUNCH

Odubel Herrera tries to homer in his fifth straight game when the Phillies begin a three-game series at Washington. ''What he's doing is special,'' Philadelphia manager Gabe Kapler said. ''It's elite.'' Herrera is batting .419 (13 for 31) with two doubles, five homers and eight RBIs in the last seven games. Seven of his 12 homers have given the Phillies a lead. ''He's a different breed,'' pitcher Jake Arrieta said. ''When he gets hot, he's fun to watch.''

BASHING THE BUCS

Jon Jay and the Diamondbacks look to keep feasting on Pirates pitching when the teams square off in Pittsburgh again. Arizona has scored 35 runs in going 3-1 against the Pirates this season. Jay doubled in each of the first two innings Thursday night, when the Diamondbacks cruised to a 9-3 victory. The center fielder is hitting .340 in 13 games since being acquired from Kansas City in a June 6 trade. Ivan Nova (4-5, 4.42 ERA) will try to slow down Arizona - the right-hander has won both starts with a 1.54 ERA since being activated from the disabled list June 10. He missed two weeks with a sprained right ring finger. Patrick Corbin (6-5, 3.48) gets the ball for the Diamondbacks. The lefty is 1-2 with a 5.90 ERA in five career starts against the Pirates.

ICHI-WHO?

Keep an eye on the Mariners' dugout at Fenway Park for a mysterious, mustachioed visitor when Seattle opens a series in Boston. Associated Press photographer Bill Kostround spotted Ichiro Suzuki hiding on Seattle's bench Thursday at Yankee Stadium wearing a fake mustache, sunglasses and a hoodie. Officially, Suzuki isn't allowed to be in the dugout during games under Major League Baseball rules after moving to the team's front office in early May. But the 44-year-old outfielder channeled former Mets manager Bobby Valentine to sneak his way onto the bench - Valentine donned a fake mustache and sunglasses and returned to the dugout after being ejected from a game in 1999. ''He was perfect. I never would have known it was him,'' Valentine texted to the AP.

DOUBLE DIP

The Oakland Athletics and Chicago White Sox are set to play a single-admission doubleheader after Thursday night's scheduled game in the Windy City was postponed because of rain. It was the 40th postponement in the majors this season, already one more than all of last year. James Shields (2-8, 4.63 ERA) and Lucas Giolito (4-7, 7.19) will start for Chicago, which has lost seven straight to match a season high and is a season-low 25 games under .500. Oakland will send Sean Manaea (6-6, 3.56) and Chris Bassitt (0-2, 2.45) to the mound.

Credits

Giants' Strickland apologizes after temper lands him on DL
    June 21, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) San Francisco Giants closer Hunter Strickland apologized to his team, fans, and said he'd consider anger management counseling three days after injuring his hand punching a door in frustration after a blown save against Miami.

Strickland is expected to be out six to eight weeks after breaking the pinkie on his pitching hand Monday. Sam Dyson and Tony Watson will be called upon for closing duties.

Strickland has had several outbursts on a national stage.

The 29-year-old right hander jawed with Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez during Game 2 of the World Series.

Last season he threw at Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper three years after he homered off Strickland in the 2014 NLDS.

''I think that obviously my anger in these moments have gotten the best of me and caused stupid decisions, so I don't think I should be this angry person,'' Strickland said. ''I think focused is the better word. We do have to be focused and locked in, focused on getting those outs.''

Strickland said he planned to address teammates later in the day.

''I'm responsible,'' Strickland said. ''I'm not here to blame anybody on anything and I think that's the way it should be.''

Strickland had surgery Tuesday, in which two pins were put in his injured finger. He'll have more X-rays two weeks, when he hopes to have the pins taken out.

''That's out of my control,'' Strickland said. ''I'll just do what I can, work hard and let the doctors decide the rest.''

Cardinals put Wacha on DL, recall Gant
    June 21, 2018

MILWAUKEE (AP) Cardinals right-handed pitcher Michael Wacha returned to St. Louis on Thursday for an MRI.

The Cardinals placed Wacha on the 10-day disabled list with a left oblique strain before Thursday night's game against the Milwaukee Brewers. They recalled right-hander John Gant from Triple-A Memphis.

''Everyone has injuries,'' Cardinals general manager Michael Girsch said. ''We've just got to deal with it.''

Wacha accompanied the team as it flew to Milwaukee from Philadelphia, but then he continued on to St. Louis for the medical scan.

''We have not gotten an MRI yet,'' Girsch said. ''Hope to have it tonight.''

Wacha, who leads the team in wins (8-2) and strikeouts (71) in 15 starts with a 3.20 ERA, left Wednesday's start against the Philadelphia Phillies with the injury. He surrendered a two-run homer to Cesar Hernandez in the fourth inning and pitched to one more batter before he was replaced by Mike Mayers. The Cardinals lost 4-3.

It's the third time this season that Gant has been recalled. He is 1-2 with a 4.74 ERA in seven appearances, including three starts for the Cardinals this year.

Gant could be a candidate for a start on Monday.

''Gant will be available in the bullpen the next few days,'' Girsch said. ''We still feel we have good options in the rotation. They're all capable of going the rest of the way. Obviously, we'd like to get guys back and have more depth.''

D-Backs P Miller set to be activated
    June 21, 2018

PITTSBURGH (AP) Shelby Miller is scheduled to return to the Arizona Diamondbacks' rotation Monday, 14 months after the right-hander underwent Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery.

Miller will face the Marlins in Miami. He rejoined the NL West-leading Diamondbacks before their game Thursday night against the Pirates after making four rehab starts in the minor leagues.

''I'm pretty excited but I'm assuming the first (start) back won't be perfect,'' Miller said. ''There are going to be times where I'm going to have to bear down and get through some stuff. I've talked to people (who have had the surgery) and they say command is the last thing to come back.''

The 27-year-old Miller pitched a combined 19 1/3 innings in his rehab starts, two with Double-A Jackson and two with Single-A Visalia. He allowed 10 runs and 20 hits while striking out 28 and walking six.

A 15-game winner in 2013 with the St. Louis Cardinals and an All-Star in 2015 with the Atlanta Braves, Miller was injured in his fourth start last season. He has a 5-14 record and 5.78 ERA in 24 starts since the Diamondbacks acquired him from the Braves in a trade prior to the 2016 season.

''I definitely have some thing to prove over here,'' Miller said.

Miller will take the rotation spot of rookie right-hander Matt Koch, who was optioned to Triple-A Reno. Koch was 5-4 with a 4.40 ERA in 13 games, including 12 stats.

Right-handed reliever Jake Barrett was recalled from Reno. He has appeared in three games for the Diamondbacks this season.

Marlins' Straily suspended 5 games
    June 21, 2018

NEW YORK (AP) Miami pitcher Dan Straily has been suspended for five games for intentionally throwing a pitch at San Francisco's Buster Posey while warnings were in place for both teams.

Major League Baseball also suspended Marlins manager Don Mattingly for one game Thursday and fined Straily and Mattingly undisclosed amounts.

On Tuesday night in the Marlins' 6-3 loss in San Francisco, Straily and Mattingly were automatically ejected in the second inning after Straily hit Posey on the left arm with a pitch. Both sides had been warned by plate umpire Andy Fletcher the previous inning after Giants rookie starter Dereck Rodriguez beaned Lewis Brinson as tempers flared for the second straight game. Posey had homered in the first inning.

Mariners place Nicasio, Altavillla on DL
    June 21, 2018

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) The Seattle Mariners have placed right-handers Juan Nicasio and Dan Altavilla on the 10-day disabled list, recalled infielder Daniel Vogelbach, and purchased the contract of right-hander Mike Morin from Triple-A Tacoma.

Nicasio has swelling in his right knee, while Altavilla is sidelined by a right elbow UCL sprain.

Mariners manager Scott Servais says Thursday he hates ''to lose either one of those guys, but we've got to get them healthy, get them right.''

Nicasio gave up four earned runs without getting an out June 6 at Houston after not allowing a run in his previous eight games.

Altavilla, 3-2 with 2.61 ERA over 22 appearances, was previously on the DL May 1-12 with right AC joint inflammation. He will be examined by team doctors in Seattle.

Morin went 2-1 with three saves and a 3.24 ERA in 20 games for Tacoma.

Vogelbach, in his third stint with the Mariners this season, hit .200 with two homers and five RBIs and in 22 earlier games.

Credits

SCHEDULE FOR FRIDAY JUNE 22, 2018
    Time (ET) Away Home Site
    4:10 PM Oakland Athletics Chicago White Sox Guaranteed Rate Field
    7:05 PM Arizona Diamondbacks Pittsburgh Pirates PNC Park
    7:05 PM Philadelphia Phillies Washington Nationals Nationals Park
    7:10 PM Chicago Cubs Cincinnati Reds Great American Ball Park
    7:10 PM Detroit Tigers Cleveland Indians Progressive Field
    7:10 PM Los Angeles Dodgers New York Mets Citi Field
    7:10 PM New York Yankees Tampa Bay Rays Tropicana Field
    7:10 PM Seattle Mariners Boston Red Sox Fenway Park
    7:35 PM Baltimore Orioles Atlanta Braves SunTrust Park
    8:10 PM Kansas City Royals Houston Astros Minute Maid Park
    8:10 PM Oakland Athletics Chicago White Sox Guaranteed Rate Field
    8:10 PM St. Louis Cardinals Milwaukee Brewers Miller Park
    8:10 PM Texas Rangers Minnesota Twins Target Field
    8:40 PM Miami Marlins Colorado Rockies Coors Field
    10:07 PM Toronto Blue Jays Los Angeles Angels Angel Stadium of Anaheim
    10:15 PM San Diego Padres San Francisco Giants AT&T Park

Date w-l-t % units record ( overall picks )

06/21/2018 7-11-0 38.89% -20.75
    06/20/2018 10-14-0 41.67% -30.55
    06/19/2018 14-11-1 56.00% +2.45
    06/18/2018 9-9-0 50.00% -6.10
    06/17/2018 17-12-0 58.62% +17.60
    06/16/2018 13-13-0 50.00% -9.30
    06/15/2018 15-15-0 50.00% -0.25
    06/14/2018 9-8-1 52.94% +4.00
    06/13/2018 17-13-0 56.66% +27.30
    06/12/2018 13-17-0 43.33% -29.10
    06/11/2018 9-6-1 60.00% +10.95
    06/10/2018 13-16-0 44.83% -21.05
    06/09/2018 22-8-0 73.33% +72.60
    06/08/2018 20-10-0 66.67% +59.65
    06/07/2018 11-7-1 61.11% +14.15
    06/06/2018 19-11-0 63.33% +35.55
    06/05/2018 12-12-0 50.00% -16.25
    06/04/2018 5-5-0 50.00% -4.70
    06/01/2018 13-13-0 50.00% -3.50

TOTALS..........248-211.....54.03%.....+106.70

may mlb best bets ( dogs and totals only )

date........................ats................uni ts..... ............0/u..............units................total

06/21/2018............1 - 5...............-17.85................4 -5................-7.50................-25.35
    06/20/2018............0 - 5...............-25.00.................6- 7................-8.50................-33.50
    06/19/2018............2 - 4................-9.65................11 - 3...............+38.50.............+28.85
    06/18/2018............0 - 2...............-10.00................6 - 3................+13.50..............+3.50
    06/17/2018............5 - 1...............+25.00...............8 - 7...............+1.50................+26.50
    06/16/2018............2 - 3...............+1.70.................8 - 6...............+7.00...............+8.70
    06/15/2018............3 - 3..............+7.70..................6 - 9...............-19.50..............-11.80
    06/14/2018............0 - 6...............-30.00.................6- 2 - 1..........+20.00..............-10.00
    06/13/2018............6- 3................+30.30................7 - 8...............-9.00................+21.30
    06/12/2018............1 - 3................-8.70..................5 10 - 1..........-30.00...............-38.70
    06/11/2018............0 - 2...............-10.00.................6 - 1 - 1.........+24.50...............+14.50
    06/10/2018............3- 3................+10.20................5 - 9..............-24.50................-14.30
    06/09/2018............3 - 3...............+8.10..................10 - 4............+28.00...............+36.10
    06/08/2018............2 - 4...............+2.50..................9 - 6..............+12.00...............+14.50
    06/07/2018............0 - 2...............-10.00.................6 - 3 - 1.........+13.50...............+3.50
    06/06/2018............2 - 2...............+4.25..................10 - 5............+22.50...............+26.75
    06/05/2018............1 - 2................-4.60...................7- 5..............+7.50.................+2.90
    06/04/2018............0 - 2...............-10.00..................4 - 1.............+14.50................+4.50
    06/01/2018............2 - 3................- 2.80..................7 - 7..............-3.50...................-6.30

TOTALS................33 - 58.............- 48.85................126 - 92......,,...+100.50................+51.65