Odds to win the Valero Texas Open this week:
16-1— Matt Kuchar
18-1— Charley Hoffman
22-1— Adam Hadwin, Branden Grace, Brooks Koepka, Brendan Steele
25-1— Jimmy Walker
26-1— Ryan Moore
28-1- Billy Horschel
Thursday’s List of 13: Nobody asked me, but…….
13) Random odd fact: in the next FIVE NBA drafts, the 76ers have the Knicks’ 2nd-round pick. The Knicks are bad, so their 2nd round pick is fairly close to the first round.
12) Shareef O’Neal, Shaq’s son, will be playing ball at Arizona starting in the fall of 2018; he is a 6-9 forward is ranked 31st in the Class of 2018 by one analyst.
11) Bryce Harper homered twice in first two innings last nite, is 15-for-33 with seven HR’s and 17 RBIs off Julio Teheran, who is no chump.
10) Umpire CB Bucknor had a rough night behind the plate Tuesday working the Nats-Braves game; plus the Fox Trax thing that shows whether a pitch is a ball or a strike wasn’t working well on TV, so it made Bucknor look even worse. Washington players were upset afterwards and they won the game.
9) Cardinals 2, Pirates 1— Third day in a row St Louis beat the Bucs by a 2-1 score.
8) Maple Leafs are in the playoffs, Blue Jays are off to a 2-11 start; there were tickets for the Red Sox-Jays game in Toronto last night selling online for as little as $2.
7) Memphis Grizzlies coach David Fizdale was fined $30,000 by the NBA for his comments about the refs in Game 2— the Memphis players are paying the tab for him.
6) Ichiro Suzuki, in what was probably his last at-bat in Seattle, homered in the 9th inning of the Marlins’ 10-5 loss. Suzuki was a great player for the Mariners and is a sure-fire Hall of Famer.
5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers will be featured on HBO’s Hard Knocks this summer.
4) LIU hired former UMass coach Derek Kellogg to lead its basketball program; took them over a month to hire a new coach.
3) Mets’ 1B Lucas Duda hyperextended his elbow taking a throw last nite and left the game- was reminiscent of the play long time ago where Cliff Floyd’s elbow got totally messed up reaching into the baseline to field a throw.
2) Quote of the Day, part 2, from Florida Atlantic’s new football coach Lane Kiffin, on how he will deal with his assistant coaches:
“No, that’s not really how I do it. Greg (McElroy) knows about those. Those things come up, and everybody has different ways of dealing with them. It’s just not really how I do it. I’m not really big on humiliating assistant coaches in front of everybody. I write down notes. In the staff meeting, I explain what we want to get done.”
1— NFL releases the 2017 schedule tonight, so we’ll be talking about that Friday. Remember, it isn’t as much about who you play as much as when you play them.