PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know?

wayne1218
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Did June Jones take the SMU job? I heard Eric Dickerson talk like he did today but i havn't seen or heard anything else. I would stay at Hawaii over that anyday! :red: :red:

3rdmckid
01-09-2008, 09:20 PM
I heard yes, but then Hawaii fired their ad, so maybe not ????????????????

longnex
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I heard he did take the SMU job.

TheRook
01-09-2008, 09:22 PM
DALLAS — On the 71st and final day of its coaching search, Southern Methodist landed the proven commodity it was seeking: June Jones.

After a night of uncertainty, Jones was introduced at a Monday news conference, flanked by SMU President R. Gerald Turner and athletic director Steve Orsini. Jones and his run-and-shoot offense had helped underdog Hawaii break into the Bowl Championship Series this year, landing a spot in the Sugar Bowl.

Into the wee hours Monday, Jones was torn between staying at Hawaii and taking on the SMU reclamation project. Jones inherits a program that won one game this season and hasn't been to a bowl since 1984.

"The only way is up, and I am good at going up," Jones said at the news conference.

Jones and SMU reportedly have agreed to a five-year deal worth slightly less than $2 million a year. The deal is funded by boosters and will make Jones by far the highest-paid coach in Conference USA.

"When he woke up this morning, he was at peace and felt great about the decision to come to SMU," said Jones' agent, Leigh Steinberg.

Jones, who arrived in Dallas early Sunday morning, met with SMU officials Sunday even while Hawaii made a late surge to sway him to stay. Hawaii came back with an enhanced offer, and passionate fans and even Gov. Linda Lingle called to intervene.

One of the most downtrodden programs in the Bowl Subdivision, SMU lured Jones, 54, away from a state where he perhaps could have been elected governor.

Steinberg said Jones was on the phone back to the islands late into the night. But Jones was impressed with SMU's on-campus facilities, his meeting with Turner, the support of boosters "and the singular vision and commitment from the top to the bottom," Steinberg said.

Before he left for Dallas, Jones reportedly sent a letter to friends announcing his intention to resign from Hawaii. The letter reportedly listed reasons why Jones wouldn't return to the school, centering on issues the athletic department had failed to address.

But Hawaii's late push dealt with the school's commitment to facilities and the program's infrastructure for the first time, causing Jones pause. As of late Sunday, Steinberg's thought was "someone was going to be horrendously disappointed," the agent said. "In 33 years of working in this field, I've never seen anything like that torrent of emotion. At the end of the day, he's left the program in tremendous shape and left a legacy that can be passed on."

Jones went 76-41 in nine seasons at Hawaii.

But facilities and resources at Hawaii never improved with the team. Hawaii waited until Thursday to make its initial offer to extend Jones' contract, which expires June 30.

Besides more money, Jones will be in the middle of the rich Texas recruiting base, and he will get better facilities. SMU recently built a brick-faced stadium and a modern training center.

"There's absolutely no comparison," Jones said.

At Hawaii, "the office that I sat in was the same office that Dick Tomey used in 1986. The carpet was the same ... You're talking about the NFL and a Pop Warner team."

SMU was 1-11 this season and Phil Bennett was fired after almost six seasons on Oct. 28.

TheRook
01-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Hawaii dismisses AD Frazier day after Jones' departure
January 9, 2008

The University of Hawaii fired athletic director Herman Frazier yesterday after he failed to re-sign football coach June Jones.

In a brief statement, the university said the move was made "in the best interest of the athletics program." It came a day after Jones, the most-winning coach in school history, accepted a five-year deal worth about $2 million a year to coach at Southern Methodist.

Frazier's contract was set to expire July 31, 2010.

longnex
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Jones named SMU coach

January 7, 2008
DALLAS (TICKER) -- After nine years at Hawaii, June Jones is ready to take on another huge challenge.

Jones was officially introduced as SMU's coach during a news conference at the school Monday afternoon, completing a stunning turn of events.

SMU did not announce terms of the contract, but ESPN.com reported it to be a five-year deal worth close to $2 million per season.

"The commitment made by the university, the groundwork laid by my predecessors, the facilities - everything we need to be successful is here," Jones said. "It's clear that everyone at SMU is on the same page. Everyone has that hunger."

Jones achieved hero status at Hawaii while building the program virtually from scratch. But he resigned his post on Saturday, citing a lack of loyalty and commitment from the school, according to The Honolulu Advertiser.

Jones hinted at the apparent problems that arose at Hawaii.

"Any place I've ever been, it's the we factor, it's the team factor, that's the most important thing," he said. "You can have the best talent in the world you can have the best front office in the pros, but if you don't have everbody on the same page, you're beat before you go on the field."

Following a 12-stint as an NFL assistant, Jones took over a Hawaii program in 1999 that went 0-12 the previous season and won nine games in his first year.

He built the Warriors into a contender in the Western Athletic Athletic Conference, culminating with the best season in school history in 2007.

Led by record-setting quarterback Colt Brennan, Hawaii completed a 12-0 regular season before losing to Georgia, 41-10, in the Sugar Bowl. Hawaii captured its initial outright WAC title and earned its first BCS bowl berth.

The Warriors made a final attempt over the weekend to keep Jones, with Hawaii governor Linda Lingle even getting involved.

According to the Hawaii Advertiser, Hawaii countered with a five-year contract worth $1.3 million annually, which fell short of SMU's reported offer.

SMU is the last school in the Football Bowl Subdivision to fill a coaching vacancy. It had been without a coach since Phil Bennett was fired in October after six seasons with the Mustangs.

As he did at Hawaii, Jones will be faced with the prospect of trying to build a program virtually from the ground floor.

Although SMU produced such college football legends as Doak Walker, Don Meredith and Eric Dickerson, the program never has fully recovered since coming of the NCAA-imposed "death penalty" in 1989.

Over the past 18 seasons, SMU posted a record of 58-153-3, including a 1-11 mark in 2007. The Mustangs were 0-8 in Conference USA.

"As a head coach, June Jones excels at building football programs and SMU is committed to rebuilding its football program," SMU athletic director Steve Orsini said. ""I truly believe that we will be successful in reaching our goals with coach Jones as our leader."

Jones leaves Hawaii as the winningest coach in school history, posting a 76-41 record in his nine seasons. His teams won or shared two WAC crowns and made six bowl appearances.

While at Hawaii, Jones developed Timmy Chang and Brennan into two of the most prolific quarterbacks in NCAA history while directing the Warriors' pass-happy attack. Brennan set an NCAA record with 131 touchdown passes

wayne1218
01-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Wow ... Thanks guys!

Three Jack
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Kevin Gilbride, Giants O Coord, is rumored to be one of the replacement candidates.

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Old news "ROOKIE" Put the LEFT HANDER DOWN WAYNE!!!:red: :red: :red:

onedummy
01-09-2008, 10:38 PM
I heard a June Jones interview on ESPN radio here in Dallas yesterday. He was very open and honest with the few questions that they asked him. He was VERY frustrated with the athletic department at HI and stated this was the toughest decision of his life. It has been rumored here in the media that the only video equipment that HI had to film their practices was won by June Jones in a golf tournament. Very sad if that is true.

aplous
01-09-2008, 10:42 PM
It appears on the surface, ya, Hawaii over SMU.........but looking deeper, Hawaii has dick for a budget, people out there really dont care much about football (only appears they do this year b/c of the success).....he turned everything around there and still gets no love from most people at the university.

SMU.....huge budget, in the middle of football country, he will succeed there and be a legend.....simple choice really....and more money.

CRL9
01-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Wayne your plays suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRL9
01-10-2008, 01:05 AM
My 17 year old dog can do better. for now on we will FADE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

tech fan
01-10-2008, 02:31 AM

WHO IS THIS CLOWN

tech fan
01-10-2008, 02:40 AM

I HAD HIM GOING 4-6 FOR THE NIGHT NOT GREAT BUT COME ON DUDE EVERYONE HAS A BAD NIGHT.IF YOUR PICKS ARE SO GREAT PUT THEM OUT DUDE.WOULD LOVE TO SEE HOW YOU DO ASSHOLE.

KR-V3
01-10-2008, 05:36 AM
The shit is very fucked in HI, we have probably lost our whole recruting class....the QB from Katy Texas (#4 HS team in America) had a verbal to HI..gone. Loss our two wide receivers, they declared for the draft this week after Jones left. I really feel bad for the QB Graunky who sat the pine for 3 years waiting for his shot, then ass hole gets up and leaves him.

Latest has the D coordinator from HI possibly taking the job. Jones was taking him to SMU though, so who knows.

We all feel ass raped here, fucking BCS game shit the bed...then the coach quits. Part of me says fuck him...he said not about the money, about the conditions of the program. But the legislature here promised 25-30 million to improve everything, and the fucker still left. It was about the money in the end. He got back to Hawaii yesterday and had to have them sneak him through the airport so he would not have to face the media...still has not made a statement to the people of Hawaii. I feel like JC last year...

DDP713
01-10-2008, 07:16 AM
The shit is very fucked in HI, we have probably lost our whole recruting class....the QB from Katy Texas (#4 HS team in America) had a verbal to HI..gone. Loss our two wide receivers, they declared for the draft this week after Jones left. I really feel bad for the QB Graunky who sat the pine for 3 years waiting for his shot, then ass hole gets up and leaves him.

Latest has the D coordinator from HI possibly taking the job. Jones was taking him to SMU though, so who knows.

We all feel ass raped here, fucking BCS game shit the bed...then the coach quits. Part of me says fuck him...he said not about the money, about the conditions of the program. But the legislature here promised 25-30 million to improve everything, and the fucker still left. It was about the money in the end. He got back to Hawaii yesterday and had to have them sneak him through the airport so he would not have to face the media...still has not made a statement to the people of Hawaii. I feel like JC last year...

Brotha I feel your pain. And it may be a longgg time before I ever figure out how June Jones could leave Hawaii, for SMU just weeks after being defeated by GEORGIA in a BCS bowl game!!
And if its about the money, where does the bcs money go to ?
I felt like he was really starting to turn HI into a football force...What he did with chang and brennan was impressive to say the least. If he could do the same at SMU all the power to him I just think its a bad move

tech fan
01-10-2008, 07:32 AM

dude i just researched your post and man you have won alot of $$$$$$$ here following him.I see your post last yr for thanks wayne for all you do for this site on his goy what is your problem did you get drunk last night or what?Sure he has made u alot more $$$$$$$ than he has lost ya.Really think you owe him an apology.Not saying this because he is a mod or anything but anyone that is giving picks out for free why bust balls on this :dontknow: :dontknow:

KR-V3
01-10-2008, 05:54 PM
dude i just researched your post and man you have won alot of $$$$$$$ here following him.I see your post last yr for thanks wayne for all you do for this site on his goy what is your problem did you get drunk last night or what?Sure he has made u alot more $$$$$$$ than he has lost ya.Really think you owe him an apology.Not saying this because he is a mod or anything but anyone that is giving picks out for free why bust balls on this :dontknow: :dontknow:

No kidding buddy, where the fuck people get off saying shit like that is beyond me!! totally unprovoked also, he must have bet over his head

Kaptain
01-10-2008, 06:03 PM

I certaily hope there is a private joke somewhere between you and Wayne, if not, this has to be on the top 3 list of the....

Most Ignorant......

No substance to the words.........

A person looking to get his ass kicked off this site.....

If it's any one of the latter 3, then you deserve to be gone, if it's a joke, then "you got me".......

If not a joke, adios

:gives:

Three Jack
01-10-2008, 06:25 PM
It's Chado exacting revenge!

tech fan
01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
It's Chado exacting revenge!

NOPE THIS WAS POSTED LAST NIGHT.I LOOKED AT THIS GUYS THREADS FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS EVERYONE OF THEM HE WAS THANKING WAYNE FOR THE WINNERS.NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS DUDE LAST NIGHT