PDA

View Full Version : Sources: USC's Carroll interested in Falcons' opening

TheRook
01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in the Atlanta Falcons' head coach opening and is expected to speak with Atlanta owner Arthur Blank via phone Wednesday, sources at the American Football Coaches Convention in Anaheim told ESPN's Joe Schad.

Pete Carroll has been rumored for many head coaching vacancies in the NFL in recent years.

Blank is expected to offer full control of personnel decisions to Carroll and the sources said that is what peaks Carroll's interest most.

Carroll is currently on vacation in Hawaii.

Carroll, who has previously been a head coach in the NFL with the New York Jets and New England Patriots, is the biggest name on the list of Atlanta candidates.

Carroll, 56, recently completed his seventh season at Southern California with a resounding victory over Illinois in the Rose Bowl. He has led the Trojans to two national championships and compiled a 76-14 record. The 14 defeats have been by an average of just 4.1 points.

Southern California was 11-2 this season and many observers felt that, had it not been for injuries, the Trojans might have vied for the national title. Carroll's .844 winning mark at Southern California is the best in the nation among active coaches with at least five seasons of experience.

Over the past few seasons, there has been rampant speculation that Carroll might be lured back to the NFL, but he has rebuffed all overtures to return to the pro game. Conventional wisdom is that Carroll would only consider an NFL job if he had full control over the football operation.

In his first NFL head coaching stint, Carroll lasted just one season with the Jets, taking the team to a 6-10 record in 1994. He coached the Patriots for three seasons, 1997-99, and was 28-23, with one division title and two playoff berths.

The Falcons suffered a bad experience this season with a coach hired from the college ranks, when Bobby Petrino, formerly of Louisville, resigned with three games remaining to fill the Arkansas vacancy. But unlike Petrino, who had been an NFL assistant for three seasons, Carroll has prior head coaching experience in the league and was an assistant coach and defensive coordinator for 12 years as well.

In the past, Carroll has listened to NFL interest from Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Arizona and Houston.

jcindaville
01-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Blank needs to stop pickin on college coaches. Carroll wont make it in the NFL.

He does have an awesome last name.

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:12 PM
:hahaha:

Celtics86
01-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Joe Schad is a joke........

TheRook
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Blank needs to stop pickin on college coaches. Carroll wont make it in the NFL.

He does have an awesome last name.

:red: :red: :red:

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Cabrera stays in Japan league, joins Orix for $2.2 million

TOKYO -- Alex Cabrera, whose name appeared in the Mitchell report issued last month, agreed to a $2.2 million, one-year contract Wednesday with the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Pacific League.

The deal is expected to be finalized in the next few days, and comes with the condition that Cabrera pass a doping test when he arrives in Japan in February.

American Terry Collins manages the Buffaloes.

Cabrera, who played for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2000, denied using steroids after his name appeared in the report published by former Sen. George Mitchell.

Since playing for the Diamondbacks, Cabrera has spent seven seasons in Japanese baseball -- all with the Seibu Lions. In 2002, he tied the Japanese single-season home run record of 55 homers.

He has a career .306 batting average with 273 homers and 686 RBIs in Japan. Last season, Cabrera hit .295 with 27 homers and 81 RBIs.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
LT, Moss unanimous selections; Brady is too -- sort of <br />
Associated Press <br />
<br />
Updated: January 9, 2008, 2:09 PM ET <br />
Comment <br />
Email <br />
Print <br />
NEW YORK -- LaDainian Tomlinson and Randy Moss were...

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Gibbs cites pull of family obligations for retiring from Redskins
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 8, 2008, 10:26 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
ASHBURN, Va. -- Joe Gibbs' second NFL retirement was much like his first. It came as a surprise, and it was all about family.

On the one-year anniversary of his grandson's diagnosis with leukemia, and less than a year after one of his sons left town to return to the family NASCAR team, Gibbs stepped down Tuesday as coach and president of the Washington Redskins so that he could devote more time to what he called "the most important thing I'm going to leave on this earth."

The 67-year-old Hall of Fame coach, coming off an emotional season that included the death of safety Sean Taylor and a late run into the playoffs, said Redskins owner Dan Snyder tried to persuade him to stay on during a conversation that lasted until about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday.

"My family situation being what it is right now, I told him I couldn't make the kind of commitment I needed to make," Gibbs said during a news conference at the Redskins' practice facility, standing a few feet from the three silver Super Bowl trophies he won during his first tenure with the team.

Speaking about his family, Gibbs added: "I felt like they needed me."

Snyder said he "tried very, very hard" retain Gibbs as coach.

"This is something none of us wanted to see happen," the owner said.

Goodbye Gibbs
Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs clearly had a better first tenure than second as head of the Washington Redskins. Below is a comparison of both stints in the nation's capital.

'81-'92 '04-'07 Totals
W-L 124-60 30-34 154-94
NFC East Titles 6 0 6
Playoff W-L 16-5 1-2 17-7
Super Bowl wins 3 0 3

The news startled players, who left Sunday's final team meeting certain Gibbs would return for the final year of his contract. Gibbs signed a five-year, $27.5 million deal when he returned to coach the Redskins in 2004, having been lured away from his second career as a NASCAR owner.

"That's part of this business -- it's full of surprises," safety Pierson Prioleau said. "Most of us suspected he would be back, and he'll definitely be missed."

Gibbs will continue to serve as an adviser to Snyder but was vague about his new role, other than to say he would no longer have an office at Redskins Park because it would place an unfair burden on the new coach.

"I think we've got a lot of pieces in place," Gibbs said. "I personally want to be a part of that. I want to see it finished. ... Our fans deserve championships. I want to be a part of seeing that come to fruition."

Among the candidates to replace him will be two former head coaches who have been members of his staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders. Former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher also could be a candidate. The team will have to interview at least one minority to comply with the NFL's "Rooney Rule" as it seeks the sixth coach since Snyder bought the team in 1999.

After speaking to a Redskins official Tuesday morning, ESPN's Chris Mortensen said that contrary to earlier media reports, Williams does not have a clause in his contract that would pay him a bonus if he isn't named head coach.

Snyder said the process to find a replacement hadn't started and that he hasn't spoken to Cowher about the job. He and Gibbs praised the current group of assistants and spoke of the value of continuity following a playoff season, a possible sign that player-favorite Williams could have the inside track.

"Coach Williams is a great coach," said fullback Mike Sellers, one of several players to endorse the fiery assistant hired to run the defense in 2004. "The players love him. It would be sad to see him not get it."

[+] EnlargePaul Jasienski/Getty Images

Joe Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first stint with the Redskins. The second time around he took Washington to the playoffs in two of his four seasons.

When Gibbs retired in 1993, he realized his two sons had grown up without him. Fifteen years later, he didn't want the same to happen with the seven people he lovingly calls his "grandbabies." One of his grandsons, 3-year-old Taylor, undergoes chemotherapy every few weeks. Also, his son Coy left his job as an assistant coach with the Redskins last year to return to North Carolina and work with Joe Gibbs Racing.

That left Gibbs alone in Washington, apart from his wife, sons and grandchildren. He made an overnight trip to North Carolina on Sunday to be with his family, interrupting the postseason routine of meetings that usually follow the final game of the season.

"I had real good visits with everybody, and at that point when I started back to D.C. and got on the plane that afternoon, I kind of had a real strong feeling in my heart of what I felt like I should do," Gibbs said.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, in his second stint with the Redskins, always maintaining he intended to fulfill the contract. He said this season was the toughest of his career, referring to Taylor's shooting in November, but pointed to his family as the chief reason for his resignation.

"I hate to leave something unfinished. I made an original commitment of five years. I felt bad about that," Gibbs said, his voice occasionally choking with emotion.

Tuesday's announcement brings an end to a coaching career in which Gibbs twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into the playoffs. He led the Redskins to four Super Bowls and won three NFL championships from 1981-92; he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons when he returned.

"I give him all the credit for putting us in great position for the future," Snyder said. "He's done a great job of stabilizing a situation that became unstable before, quite frankly."

Even so, Gibbs' last four years were down-and-up, down-and-up. He had his two worst seasons as a coach -- 6-10 in 2004 and 5-11 in 2006 -- but he also led the Redskins to the playoffs with late runs in 2005 and 2007.

Following Taylor's funeral, Gibbs and his team rallied to win their final four regular-season games, finishing 9-7 to claim the final NFC playoff berth. The unlikely run ended Saturday, when the Redskins lost 35-14 at Seattle.

Gibbs' final career totals: 171-101, including 17-7 in the playoffs, a career .629 winning percentage that ranks third all time behind George Halas and Don Shula among coaches with more than 125 wins.

As word of Gibbs' resignation spread, fans flocked to Redskins Park to say goodbye. Gibbs stepped outside to greet them, creating a scene similar to the one when he emerged from retirement four years ago.

"Y'all tell me what you want done and I'll do it," Gibbs said as he prepared to sign autographs and pose for photos.

"Stay!" yelled a fan in the back.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

TheRook
01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Cabrera stays in Japan league, joins Orix for $2.2 million

TOKYO -- Alex Cabrera, whose name appeared in the Mitchell report issued last month, agreed to a $2.2 million, one-year contract Wednesday with the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Pacific League.

The deal is expected to be finalized in the next few days, and comes with the condition that Cabrera pass a doping test when he arrives in Japan in February.

American Terry Collins manages the Buffaloes.

Cabrera, who played for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2000, denied using steroids after his name appeared in the report published by former Sen. George Mitchell.

Since playing for the Diamondbacks, Cabrera has spent seven seasons in Japanese baseball -- all with the Seibu Lions. In 2002, he tied the Japanese single-season home run record of 55 homers.

He has a career .306 batting average with 273 homers and 686 RBIs in Japan. Last season, Cabrera hit .295 with 27 homers and 81 RBIs.

Thanks for posting this as it has 110% nothing to do with the current topic.

:clapping:

***THA FIX***
Gossage voted into baseball Hall; Rice just misses
Associated Press

Updated: January 8, 2008, 8:01 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
NEW YORK -- On his first day as a Hall of Famer, Goose Gossage tossed some high, hard ones at Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds.

"I think that if you did do performance-enhancing drugs, you need to come clean and put an end to this," Gossage said. "Just fess up."

After falling short eight times, Gossage received 85.8 percent of the vote Tuesday, easily surpassing the 75 percent threshold for baseball's highest honor and becoming just the fifth reliever in Cooperstown's bullpen.

Angry that the Steroids Era has skewed statistics, Gossage said Bonds and Clemens were in the same situation as far as he was concerned. Both have been accused of using steroids.

"Now we've got to figure out who's telling the truth, and I think that some day we will know the truth," Gossage said.

Gossage said players shouldn't be afraid of admitting they used performance-enhancing drugs. He cited Clemens' close friend, Yankees pitcher Andy Pettitte.

"Pettitte came clean. There's been other guys that said they did it," Gossage said. "Life is going to go on."

Hall of Fame Voting

Rich "Goose" Gossage was the only player voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in the 2008 ballot. Jim Rice, who has just one year remaining on the ballot, finished just 16 votes short of induction. Players remain on the ballot for a maximum of 15 years as long as they receive 5 percent of the vote.

Player Votes Pct.
Goose Gossage 466 85.8
Jim Rice 392 72.2
Andre Dawson 358 65.9
Bert Blyleven 336 61.9
Lee Smith 235 43.3
Jack Morris 233 42.9
Tommy John 158 29.1
Tim Raines 132 24.3
Mark McGwire 128 23.6
Alan Trammell 99 18.2
Dave Concepcion 88 16.2
Don Mattingly 86 15.8
Dave Parker 82 15.1
Dale Murphy 75 13.8

Harold Baines 28 5.2
Others receiving votes: Rod Beck 2, Travis Fryman 2, Robb Nen 2, Shawon Dunston 1, Chuck Finley 1, David Justice 1, Chuck Knoblauch 1, Todd Stottlemyre 1.

Mark McGwire, his image in shreds since telling Congress in 2005 that he wouldn't talk about the past, received 128 votes from 10-year members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America -- matching the total from last year, when he was eligible for the first time. His percentage was 23.6 percent.

"I don't think this steroid thing is over by any means. I'm sure that most of you guys, the writers, don't really know how to approach this," Gossage during a BBWAA conference call.

Known for his overpowering fastball, fiery temperament and bushy mustache, the Goose received 466 of 543 votes.

"It was very emotional I'll tell you, off the charts. I can't describe the feeling," he said after learning the news. "I can't lie. There's been some frustration and some disappointment."

Jim Rice was passed over yet again in his next-to-last year on the ballot, getting 392 votes (72.2 percent), up from 346 (63.5 percent) last year but 16 short of the 75 percent needed.

"Today's results are obviously a disappointment," Rice said in a statement. "I believe my accomplishments speak for themselves, and a majority of the voters seem to agree. It is tough to come this close, but I remain hopeful for the 2009 results."

Gossage, who fell short by 21 votes last year, was on just 33.3 percent of the ballots when he appeared for the first time in 2000. He joins Hoyt Wilhelm (1985), Rollie Fingers (1992), Dennis Eckersley (2004) and Bruce Sutter (2006) as the only relievers in the Hall.

Gossage was sitting in a recliner in his living room overlooking the Rocky Mountains in Colorado Springs, Colo., when he received the call. He turned to reporters in the room and said, "Oh my God, I've been elected."

"A shock wave went through my body like an anvil just fell on my head," Gossage said. "I think having to wait makes it that much more special."

His mother died in 2006, Gossage said with tears welling up in his eyes, and he had hoped she would live long enough to see him inducted.

Bullpen Call
As Goose Gossage joins the Baseball Hall of Fame, Rob Neyer says he should be the last relief pitcher of his generation to be enshrined in Cooperstown. Blog

Gossage was a nine-time All-Star who pitched for nine major league teams from 1972-94 and had 310 saves -- 52 of them when he got seven outs or more. By comparison, Mariano Rivera has one and Trevor Hoffman two.

"It was go as hard as I could for as long as I could, and the jams that I came into were always so exciting," Gossage said. "I felt the more difficult the situation, the better I was."

He spent six seasons with the New York Yankees and is likely to go into the Hall wearing a Yankees cap. He won his only World Series title with them in 1978.

"The biggest game that I ever pitched in on any team by far was that '78 playoff game with the Red Sox," he said. "It seemed like the playoffs after that and the World Series were kind of anticlimactic because of the pressure that was in that one-game playoff."

Rice, who flied out with runners on against Gossage in the eighth and ninth innings of that game, will appear on the writers' ballot for the 15th and final time next year, when career steals leader Rickey Henderson will be among the newcomers. The highest percentage for a player who wasn't elected in a later year was 63.4 by Gil Hodges in 1983, his final time on the ballot.

The last player elected in his final year on the BBWAA ballot was Ralph Kiner in 1975.

"I think Jim Rice does belong in the Hall of Fame," Gossage said. "No hitter scared me, but Jim Rice came the closest."

Andre Dawson was third with 358 votes (65.9 percent), followed by Bert Blyleven at 336 (61.9 percent), Lee Smith at 235 (43.3 percent) and Jack Morris at 233 (42.9 percent).

"We as players that are on the bubble can have opinions, and it does really no good to vent or get angry because it's out of our hands," said Blyleven, whose percentage rose from 47.7 last year. "I know Goose vented a little bit last year, and Jim Rice will probably vent this year. I have four more years. For some reason they make some of these guys like Gossage and Bruce Sutter wait. Like Goose said, he's not going to save any more games."

Tim Raines topped the 11 newcomers on the ballot, receiving 132 votes (24.3 percent). All the others appearing for the first time fell below the 5 percent necessary to remain on the ballot next year.

Gossage will be inducted July 27 in Cooperstown, joined by five men elected last month by the revamped Veterans Committee: former commissioner Bowie Kuhn, former Dodgers owner Walter O'Malley, managers Dick Williams and Billy Southworth and ex-Pirates owner Barney Dreyfuss.

Williams managed Gossage on the San Diego Padres, helping them win the 1984 NL pennant.

"There isn't anybody I'd rather go in with than Dick Williams," said Gossage, who spoke with his former manager right after getting the news.

***THA FIX***
Trainer spoke to Clemens' investigators regarding allegations <br />
Associated Press <br />
<br />
Updated: January 8, 2008, 9:41 PM ET <br />
Comment <br />
Email <br />
Print <br />
NEW YORK -- A lawyer for Brian McNamee called on...

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
McNabb says team should restock and 'secure some playmakers'
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 9, 2008, 11:35 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
It sounds like a holiday wish list, albeit a tad late, but Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb made his desires known with his blog posting on yardbarker.com.

McNabb

"Now that the season is over and we are concentrating on 2008, I hope we are able to secure some playmakers in all three phases of the game," McNabb wrote in his Monday posting. "Maybe some of those playmakers are already on the roster but have struggled with injuries, myself included, that have held us back a little."

Coach Andy Reid had pointed to the team's numerous injuries as one reason why the Eagles finished 8-8 this season. He also said that players should be careful in addressing personnel situations, because the person in the next locker might not take it the right way.

"I haven't heard Donovan talk about that, so I'm not answering it," Reid said during a wrapup news conference on New Year's Eve. "I know, as players, you have to be careful about saying that, because those are your teammates that are being replaced. Most players don't get into that, who really care about their teammates on the other side."

McNabb didn't mention any names of play-makers and difference-makers he'd like to have on his side, but he did direct attention to a certain undefeated team and how it went about its business.

"You can't argue with how the Patriots went outside their locker room and stocked up on playmakers last year. It certainly helped to have Randy Moss, Donte' Stallworth, Wes Welker and Adalius Thomas making plays for them all year," McNabb said in his blog posting.

"I'm surprised that anyone would have a problem with me, or anyone else in the organization, expressing a desire to bring in more quality players," he added. "We were 8-8. There is room for improvement. This is a competitive sport. It's about putting together the best players, the best team, and giving yourself the best chance to win.

"We didn't disrespect anyone when we traded for Takeo Spikes or signed Kevin Curtis last year. I don't think the Patriots were being disrespectful to Troy Brown or Reche Caldwell when they brought in Moss, Stallworth and Welker. Over the past few years, when the 49ers added Nate Clements, the Seahawks added Julian Peterson, the Giants added Plaxico Burress, the Colts added Adam Vinatieri, it was in an effort to add playmakers. In each case the team identified a way to improve and they took action.

"I don't think that's being disrespectful to any of my teammates. It's certainly not my intention. I bet that anyone who wants to see the Eagles win -- from Mr. Lurie, to the entire locker room, to every Eagles fan who bleeds green would agree."

McNabb spokesman Rich Burg said the blog posting was not in response to Reid, but to what media critics were saying.

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Red Wings ensure key part of team with three-year extension for Osgood
Associated Press

Updated: January 9, 2008, 1:10 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
DETROIT -- Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood, off to a fast start this season, has signed a three-year extension with the team.

Osgood

Osgood, 35, leads the NHL in both goals-against average (1.68) and save percentage (.932), and has a 19-2-1 record in 22 appearances. Both losses were 3-2 decisions. No other NHL goaltender with at least 10 appearances has only two regulation losses.

"Chris has a tremendous career record as an NHL goaltender and his performance this season places him as one of the top goalies in the game today," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said in a release Wednesday.

The deal runs through the 2010-2011 season.

Osgood has 355 victories, third among active goaltenders and tied with Rogie Vachon for 15th on the career list. He has shared netminding duties this season with Dominik Hasek, who has a 14-6-2 record for the NHL-leading Red Wings.

Detroit originally drafted Osgood in the third round (54th overall) of the 1991 NHL draft. The New York Islanders claimed him in the waiver draft in September 2001 and traded him to St. Louis in 2003.

Osgood returned to Detroit in August 2005 when the Wings signed him as a free agent.

12 comments on "Red Wings ensure key part of team with three-year extensi..."

flyersfan1981 (1 hour ago) Detroit is a well-oiled machine right now...of course he would get an extension... More NHL Headlines
Hasek shuts out Avs; Datsyuk sparks Wings
Shanahan back; Straka, Avery out
Devils win in SO, hand Sabres 7th straight loss
Downie gets warning for punch
Canes blank B's behind Ward

Inside NHL

USA Hockey is good at producing NHL players. Now if only it could get its act together for the World Juniors. Burnside in the Box

Wayne Gretzky and Co. weren't expecting their season to evolve the way it has, but their youngsters are playing a crucial role. Frei

What does the future hold for Alexander Ovechkin? John Buccigross has his theories in his latest mailbag.

The Winter Classic was a wonderful spectacle and showed thousands why hockey is great. Still, the NHL should be careful before rushing back into the outdoors. Burnside

How good were those fans in Orchard Park? How did the Penguins, Sabres and Crosby fare? And, what about the rink? Scott Burnside has his grades from the Winter Classic.

Want to see all of the sights from the Winter Classic. We've got you covered, from the tailgates to the talented Mr. Crosby. Gallery
ESPN.com: Help | PR Media Kit | Sales Media Kit | Report a Bug | Contact Us | News Archive | Site Map | ESPN Shop | Jobs at ESPN | Supplier Information
Copyright &#169;2008 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights are applicable to you. All rights reserved.

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Report: Walker says frustration to blame for talk of leaving
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 9, 2008, 11:15 AM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Javon Walker is reportedly backing away from comments he made several days ago, in which he suggested he and the Denver Broncos might be better off without each other.

Walker
Walker, who missed much of the 2007 season due to a recurring knee injury and caught 26 passes for 287 yards and no touchdowns, said he was speaking out of frustration at the end of a trying season.

"It was frustration coming out," Walker said Tuesday during a radio interview, according to the Rocky Mountain News. "It's like playing on the football field and getting a 15-yard personal foul. That's a guy who, at the time, was frustrated. His coach may not like it. But saying something in the media at the time -- boom -- it's a personal foul.

"I apologize. I'm sorry. Let's move on," he said, according to the report.

In Walker's earlier comments, made Dec. 31, he said "It's not that they don't want me here, but I just don't think it's the best fit for me." He said he wouldn't ask for a trade, but all the same didn't see himself fitting into Denver's plans in 2008, when he's due to earn about $7.5 million in salary and bonuses.

"I just don't see it happening for me here," Walker said at the time. "What it boils down to at this point is I've got to go where the best fit is for me. ... And if it's not the best situation for me [in Denver], it's the best situation for Brandon Marshall."

Marshall, who evolved into the Broncos' top receiving threat in Walker's absence, had 102 catches for 1,325 yards and seven TDs.

But according to the report, in his radio interview Tuesday, Walker denied that jealousy over Marshall's emergence was fueling his frustration. He pointed out that he switched receiving assignments in the Broncos' season finale so Marshall could reach the 100-catch plateau.

Walker also said he never asked for a trade or promised a holdout, and said the situation in Denver is not the same as troubles he had in Green Bay, where, in 2005, he was publicly criticized by quarterback Brett Favre during a training camp holdout and subsequently hurt his knee in the season opener. He was traded to Denver the day of the 2006 NFL draft.

"But when it boils down to it, I'm really unsure what's going to happen to me in Denver because the ball's in their court, and even they've said I have a big salary-cap number coming up," Walker said, according to the report. "I have bonuses coming up.

"So it really boils down to what they want to do with me. If I'm a Bronco, hey, that's fine. If not, hey, that's OK, too."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Brown rigs heated warmup pants to stay toasty in Green Bay
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 9, 2008, 12:12 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
SEATTLE -- Seattle Seahawks kicker Josh Brown says he'll wear heated warm-up pants in the freezing weather at Saturday's playoff game in Green Bay.

Brown says he has equipped his pants with battery-powered heaters for the calves, thighs and hamstrings.

Brown told KIRO Radio that no matter how low the temperature drops, his legs will be 75 degrees.

Brown says kickers, who spend most of the game on the sideline, have to work harder to stay loose in cold weather by walking around, practicing kicks or using heaters.

The National Weather Service is predicting a 20 percent chance of snow showers on Saturday in Green Bay, with a high near 28. Temperatures are expected to dip to 17 degrees on Saturday night.

The game is scheduled to kick off at 4:30 p.m. ET.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

TheRook
01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
You are officially retarded.

vols fan
01-09-2008, 03:27 PM
You are officially retarded.
Anyone you would like to nominate as ASS HOLE OF THE MONTH Rook?

TheRook
01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
When I think of this Auburn red headed step child...this is what comes to mind........ <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
Not pulling a full wagon. <br />
<br />
<br />
Not the brightest star in the sky.

vols fan
01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

jcindaville
01-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for posting this as it has 110% nothing to do with the current topic.

:clapping:

thats what i was thinking:red:

***THA FIX***
01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chick+fil+a+bowl