PDA

View Full Version : Who Creates the Opening Lines

Kaptain
07-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Good Reading.............. <br />
<br />
How the Betting Line is Made <br />
<br />
Las Vegas Sports Consultants (LVSC) is the world's premier oddsmaking company and the most respected authority on making the lines....

jcindaville
07-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Very interesting, thanks Karl

Eagle
07-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Good read, thanks Kapt.

Eagle

vondie
07-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Great Post....that probaby is the NUMBER 1 misconception. Most people not in the know think someone smarter than then thinks USC is 7 points better than their opponent. But really, it could just be that they livin So Cal, and they know that people have a USC bias, and make USC give up more points.

Great article for newbies.

Spearit
07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Yes- but what about reverse line movments- these plays that are 72% on USC but actually moves from -7 to -6 1/2.
How is this to be interpreted other than Vegas does have a feeling on which side something may happen. Since now Vegas wants to see more bets on USC even though the popular vote is on USC.
Enquiring minds want to know!

Chado1
07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for sharing Kapt!!!

molta02
07-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes- but what about reverse line movments- these plays that are 72% on USC but actually moves from -7 to -6 1/2.
How is this to be interpreted other than Vegas does have a feeling on which side something may happen. Since now Vegas wants to see more bets on USC even though the popular vote is on USC.

very good point. i always consider reverse line movement when looking at games.

vondie
07-30-2007, 12:56 PM

That is when you put your entire roll on USC. :partying:

UfGators
07-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Great post Kapt! Also a popular bias on NY teams... especially if the Giants are having a decent year. Betting against them is almost a sure thing.

drugstuntman
07-30-2007, 02:17 PM
great read....what I would give to be a fly on the wall in those meetings!

garth
07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
It is my understanding that reverse line movements are fueled by big money coming in on one side. If 70% of the bets are on the side that is -7, but 70% of the money (in dollar amts) is on +7, the line might move to +6 1/2 to even out the amt of money laid down on both sides, not to even out the number of bets.

Spearit
07-30-2007, 04:29 PM
It is my understanding that reverse line movements are fueled by big money coming in on one side. If 70% of the bets are on the side that is -7, but 70% of the money (in dollar amts) is on +7, the line might move to +6 1/2 to even out the amt of money laid down on both sides, not to even out the number of bets.

Exactly my thoughts on this. 70% smart money or large amounts of money vs number of bets was my thinking. Reverse line movements continue to be a good bet as if the large money conglomerates have some type of knowledge concerning the game. Book after book is jumped on and the line is changed by a half point, a point, or more in mere minutes. This can sway in favor of the dog usually but some times the fav is jumped on- but this is done usually early.

bryce
07-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Good read Kapt!! Thanks!